|The Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center (JRRMMC) had its start in February 1945 as a civilian emergency hospital known as PCAU-5 (Philippine Civilian Affairs Unit), with 100-bed capacity and housed in a borrowed school building at España St. Manila. On August 1, 1945, it was placed under the Bureau of Health and named as North General Hospital, being north of Pasig River.
The year 1947 marked the beginning of North General Hospital as a training hospital and started training doctors, nurses and technical men under the Department of Health.
In October 1957, the hospital transferred to a new facility at San Lazaro Compound in Rizal Avenue, Sta. Cruz, Manila. By virtue of R.A. 4264 passed on June 19, 1965, it was renamed Dr. Jose R. Reyes Memorial Hospital in honor of Dr. Jose R. Reyes, its Director from March 16, 1948 to January 24, 1964.
In 1974, the hospital was designated as a Medical Center in line with the Hospital Development Project of the Department of Health. The hospital was subsequently renamed Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center (JRRMMC) on December 3, 1982, pursuan to Executive Order No. 851.
On January 31, 1987, Executive Order No. 119, which provided for the reorganization of the Department of Health, included among other things, the integration/absorption of the following agencies to JRRMMC, specifically those involving patient care