The East Avenue Medical Center was organized by virtue of EO# 48 s. 1986 of President Corazon C. Aquino. It was formerly named the Hospital Ng Bagong Lipunan which was established on Jan. 8, 1978 by virtue pf Presidential decree #1411 after the dissolution of the old GSIS Gen. Hospital which was transferred all its assets, liabilities and properties to the Ministry of Health.
The then GSIS Hospital was originally a 500 bed capacity institution catering to the members of GSIS and their dependents, before it was transferred to the government. The bed capacity was reduced to 350 with the intention of accommodating service patients and training its staff in the different fields of specialization .
The EAMC since its reorganization after the 1986 February revolution, has been moving progressively with the aim of living up to its standard as a premier education and training as well as a service hospital under the Department of Health. Constructions and repairs are on-going hand in hand with the efforts to give high quality standard of patient care to the optimum number of the populace irrespective of social, educational, economic and religious creed.
There is always room for improvement� is the organization�s guiding principle, thus, despite some problems brought about by the pressures of development and change, the management is doing its very best to cope up and to move progressively with the times.